Tin Can Island Port Complex
Port Constructed and Commissioned on the 14th October, 1997.
Roro Terminal designated in 1977 as part of the ultra modern Tin Can island Port Complex.
In 1991, the Nigerian Ports Authority took over its operations and made it full-fledged Port.
Tin Can and Roro merged in a major administrative reform on May, 2006.
10th of May 2006, take over of Terminal Operators.
Tin Can Island Port Complex today is an amalgam of what used to be Roro and Tin Can Island Ports. This merger came with the concessioning of the terminals in May, 2006. But the various departments and their personnel were merged in September, 2006.
In line with the Human Resource rationalisation occasioned by the reform process, personnel strength has also dropped from 1826 to 945 between August, 2006 and April, 2008.
Private Terminal Operators took over on the 10th of May, 2006 for Terminal A, C and D while Terminal B was handed over on the 1st of June, 2006. Port and Terminal Multiservices Limited (PTML) which is a BOT, commenced operation in September, 2006. Operationally, there have been marked improvements in turn around time and berth occupancy. Average Berth Occupancy rate has improved from 75% by the end of 2006 to 83% as at now.
DEVELOPMENT PLAN AND QUAY WALL
Since the commencement of the Lease Agreement in 2006, the Terminal Operators have embarked on planned and redevelopment of their terminals with a view to building capacity and staying competitive.
Please see attached Compliance Level of Parties with Obligations in Concession Agreements (Annexure A) for details of information on implementation of approved Development Plan and Rehabilitation of Quay Wall and Plant acquisition.
Port Manager: Babatunde E. Longe (email@example.com)